How can I become a member?
Everyone is welcome to join, and it's easy:
- Be sure you agree to the "working membership" principle (see below)
- Send an email to email@example.com and briefly tell who you are, and why you are interested. This is just to get to know you a bit. We are not vetting or selecting new members, everyone is welcome to join.
- Attend one of the weekly pickup/social gatherings. Any questions you have will be answered, and you will meet members and our food. You will receive details on the food ordering, and can try it out one week.
- A week later, you pick up your food. You can then fill out a short form, for our administration.
- You are now a "Bee"!
We have working membership
For us, it's about cooperative spirit. Whether sorting the weekly order, visiting a farmer, updating our Facebook profile, finding a new product, weeding at a partner community garden, organizing a music night, or distributing fliers: your contribution benefits all of us. For that reason:
- Dickes Bee only has active people: "working members". You are expected to work a minimum of 3 hours a month. We differ in that sense from buying clubs primarily aimed at combined purchasing.
- Working is a very general thing: every idea you can imagine to improve the coop is welcome. There are already several work teams focusing on a particular aspects. For example: food receiving and selling; researching products; contacting farmers; marketing materials and efforts; recipes; translation; an art installation; website contributions; administration of orders.
- It's only fair that your efforts for our partners (e.g. working in a community garden that is a supplier) also count as Dickes Bee working hours
- This way we can keep prices low, and don't have to charge membership fees.
- It's all about a cooperative spirit to form a real community!